Thursday, July 08, 2010

Welcome to Scam School

Reaching to this space's other theme, I'd like to think I'm a seasoned traveler. Last night, I got a lesson in you never, ever let your guard down.

I had some confusion on check in at the convention - travel card on reservation that we don't carry vs using my personal card - but there were no real worries, and the front desk was very helpful.

About 9:30 last night, get a phone call from a woman who identified herself as the night audit manager of the hotel, and wanted to sort out the two cards on my account. She knew details about my check in, details about the cards I was using (brand names), called me by name from the start of the call. She did a really good job in convincing me she was legit, and had me do something you should never, ever do - give out card numbers to confirm a problem by phone.

I got the feeling something was wrong during the call, but she used all the right lingo for a front desk person, was conversational, and of feed to take care of a wake up call, other things that gave you the impression it was OK. The person had some knowledge of the rooms at the hotel as she chatted about the way the cd player/alarm clock was awkward to set.I should have followed up on my instincts to call the front desk to verify last night.

When the 6 am wake up call didn't happen, my alarm bells in my head went off this morning. Sure enough, there is no Sharon working at the front desk, and someone now has my card numbers and I'm in a full froth panic.

Kudos to the real front desk. At about 5:30 this morning, a male voice had called wanting to speak to me, and they got suspicious when the person didn't know the room number when asking for a wake up call at 6 am for me. In retrospect now, it was an accomplice seeking to cover tracks for a few more hours.

The shift manager was extremely helpful, called over his security folks who took down the details for a police report if we need one so I could continue on to the airport this morning for my flight. Also, AMEX was very cool about putting a tracker on my card, letting me verify for them the known charges I would have leaving SFO and getting ready to shut down my card when I get back to Fayetteville.

Let me be very clear, the real Marriott people were great, and I don't blame them in any way for this scam. In fact, their quick thinking helped I hope thwart the folks that worked me for this.

It was stupid, but that's the essence of a good con - they get you to do things you know you shouldn't. Reminds me know of the fake bank commercial where they get folks to own up to things you never should. Mea culpa, and I hope by putting the details out for my friends and followers, you'll be as suspicious as I should have been in the future.

No comments: