Saturday, July 10, 2010

On 140 Characters

Call me pathetically prolific tonight, but I had this passing thought about the supposed limits of Twitter and 140 characters.

How many characters do cartoon often use -- editorial or daily strip? Let's consider the one I mentioned earlier today from Dilbert. I count 224 characters in the three panels. Scott Adams says a lot in that span, and this isn't a case where the three panel illustrations added "a thousand words."

Why is it that some PR professionals and journalist continue to scoff at real-time reporting work or social media -- what can you possibly say in 140 characters; who cares what you are doing right now -- but they would laud to the ends of the earth the profundity of an editorial cartoon or Dilbert?

I'd say @BPGlobalPR has been quite insightful at times.

No comments: