Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Don't Start Spending Those Savings

I've been in this business for 25 years. I've seen most of the NCAAs media guide and other cost cutting measures.

Let me assure you of one great constant: the budget never goes down.

No color inside pages begat the first phone book size guides.

The 208 page limit begat the lenticular covers and other emboss and foil effects.

And no printed guides to recruits - well, let me just say from right here at the epicenter of video - the National Association of Broadcasters convention - that whatever your printing budget was, it just became your video and digital media production budget.

Flash animations and other cool programing doesn't come cheap - in time, effort or money.

The computer that was just fine to do a printed guide; hardly the power to render video.

Good times ahead. Like I am fond of saying, REM had it right.

Its the end of the world as we know it,

And I feel fine.

After all, why do you think I'm here?

No comments: