Friday, July 17, 2009

I Hate Endings

First and foremost -- nobody get weirded out or read something into this post.

I'm doing some reading in a couple of books earlier this week and it just tripped a switch. I've never liked ending projects, even though I'm very good with deadlines and enjoy working with deadlines. Always thought there was something sad about finishing things.

So it hits me, gee, recon that's cause you grew up in hospitals shuttling around your father's array of illness? You know, maybe. At an early age, you got good with the thought of "endings," and got attracted over time to things that are perpetual -- like newspapers, then higher ed. I've never really like summer, cause that was the "dead" part of the academic year (aside from hot and humid -- no fan of either).

Probably why I feel quite comfortable with the never-ending networked media. There's always something new around the corner, something different to do; and that feeds the lack of closure.

Profound, no?

Repeat disclaimer -- doesn't mean I'm dying, leaving, etc. Just an interesting correlation between closure aversion and network media. I wonder if others feel the same way.

No comments: