Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Byline According to Luke

Bylines on institutional websites remain contentious. Are you representing the whole or promoting yourself? Not that long ago, a colleague confronted me because I used my name on a departmental blog. I had never thought of it as the attempt to be self-promoting that I was being accused of. Here, yes; there, no -- transparent and accountable.

I've written in the past about the need for the byline to let the consumers know who is responsible for copy. Today's church service included Luke 14:1, 7-14. OK, none of you have known me to get into bible study here -- and that's not the point. The parable is about Jesus making a point that you shouldn't assume a place of honor for yourself, and it began to get me thinking about the byline: "For all who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."

A little pensive time, and I come to this conclusion. Putting out a byline is more about humbling than exalting. Huh? Follow me on this.

Earlier in the passage, Luke records how Jesus instructed that you should take your place at the banquet at the lowest spot, and wait to be invited by your host to sit in the place of honor. This also served to avoid the wrongful assumption you are THE distinguished guest. By having the staff that work the website place bylines and credit lines on work, they are indeed laying themselves out for potential humbling. And if the work meets with the pleasure of those who read or view the website, the people will let you know "friend, move up higher; then you will be honored."

At the start of the credits of every single media guide I served as the editor for over the previous 25 years of my media relations career, I began with this line: "Credit goes to many who are listed in this space; blame rests solely with your editor."

No comments: