Monday, October 10, 2011

Once Again, Stunning News on News

Pew Research Center's Internet and American Life Project discovered that when it comes to local news, people used people as their No. 2 source, reinforcing previous points about who people tend to trust for information.

On The Media gives us another outstanding coverage of a vital media story with one of the co-directors. I commend it to you to listen.

What does it mean, again? Well, shocking, Pew found that newspaper staffs were the backbone of most information in local markets -- TV, radio and internet feed off it. But in areas lacking newspaper, or understaffed newspapers, direct to the public is the way.

Lee Rainie, the co-director, provides the nut quote:

Seventy-four percent said on a weekly basis, they used local TV to get some local news. Fifty-five percent, the second-highest ranking went to word of mouth. And that's when people said, “I rely on my friends. I go to my neighbors. I go to trusted colleagues.”

No comments: