Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy 2010, Now Go Read Something

Searching for my early blog validation on this one and not finding it handy. Nevertheless, for years I've said that the essentially written nature of the internet was driving a revival in writing and reading. Why? Well, what are you doing right now. Please, hit yourself on the forehead for effect right . . . . now.

Here's my backing -- this WIRED coverage of a University of San Diego study that shows -- shocking -- that reading is going up, not down.

Takeaway from the USD study: Reading, which was in decline due to the growth of television, tripled from 1980 to 2008, because it is the overwhelmingly preferred way to receive words on the Internet.

I could have told you that. As much as I liked to read as a youth, I'd never, ever have picked up a two-pound leviathan like the last Harry Potters. 13 year old daughter? And her friends? Can't get enough of these monster books.

Hello NCAA colleagues -- before you kill those printed media guides . . .

No comments: