Wednesday, July 02, 2008

No, Thank You

The presentation is over, and I'm a little disappointed I didn't make to the room faster.

My great thanks to Dan Gillmor, who I think everyone could tell just how sick he was from the audio, and Spencer Hall, who is really a human being, for participating.

The goal was to create discussion. That's why we spoke short, and we're looking to get the questions going. I think one of the best follow-ups I had after the fact was from one of the questioners, a major conference office rep, who said that it was a bit scary.

Yes. It is. The new world order in this completely open posting word is, well, new. It's a jarring, system-wide change. We must evolve to respond to it, both as an organization and as institutions.

Let me repeat what I said at the podium -- this is a community. We must have discussions; among ourselves, with our fans, with our administrators.

I can't stress this point enough: have the conversation internally about what you will do to engage with the B&B world. Know that the answer for your institution may be we are not going to interact with them. That's OK -- it is your message and your school.

That, however, is the key. You must be the master of that message, the conduit through which the message flows. It is our future.

Don't fight the future. Never really worked out for Fox Mulder.

And lets see how many of you are reading -- the password is Afghanistan Banana Stand

No comments: