Saturday, June 15, 2013

Are Page Views Dead?

Digiday comes down squarely on the side that this metric is done.  As a marketer, I hear the siren's song of views because they are an easy -- and inflated -- number that those outside the online bubble can understand.

Sorta like Nielsen ratings.

Today, we don't put a lot of stock in those.  Why not join in with Digiday and say the same for page views?

There isn't a week that doesn't pass when I'm pitched by a media seller how many page views they can generate for me.  Swell.

What I need are individuals who will become engaged with our institution.

I'm all about views -- if they are the right sets of eyes.  Generating views for view sake (check the story within the story about doing slideshows to pump up numbers) isn't achieving my marketing goals.

Food for thought.

No comments: