Sunday, July 15, 2012

Doctor Heal Thyself

This is a weekend of high passion with the release of the Freeh report.  I listened to some talk radio and was appalled at a former SID defending Paterno with the "he's done so much for thousands" argument.  What?  Did he read the report?  Has he not felt the heat of the public and opinion classes?

Today, I'd taken a little recreational time inside a couple of interest groups on Facebook and found myself the frog in the boiling water.  Why no, I don't think that is right.  Why of course, that shouldn't have been that way.  Before I knew it, I'd made some of my own most preached errors.

What I said was not wrong, but without the visual cues of regular communication, in reflection, I'm sure it sounded harsh.  And when pounced upon, I at least took a moment to pause before the counter attack.

That's when I realized, I don't get an opinion on that issue.  Because of where I work and who the interest group was -- I pulled back.  I did the only thing I could do.  Apologize, delete and retreat.  I left the field to others to hash out.

The fact of the matter -- shouldn't have even gone down that road.  It made me reflect back on the talk show I heard earlier.

We take a lot of time talking about how we want honest opinion and exchanges, but we really don't.  We really want the losers to shut up and go away.  We really don't like a lot of back and forth.

And a sober reminder that as we often shake our heads at what clients and colleagues do in social, we must remind ourselves, but by the grace of God go I.

No comments: