Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Unsolicited Opinions

While cleaning through some files at the house, if I was programing for a hoops team, I'd be looking at the imminent resurrection -- shudder -- of disco. My money is on Turn the Beat Around becoming the new band song at schools in the near future. Catchy hook, nice scratch/percussion in the middle, would work well with the growing number of bass guitars and amplification at lots of schools.

Why disco? Look, I lived that horror the first time as the hauler of albums to my dad's night clubs (how many 15-year-olds did you know that had a subscription to Billboard to pull titles for orders). But just like those vintage ties, give anything time and it will cycle back. My seventh grader and her slightly older junior high generationals -- looks like a casting call for Hair.

Same reason why AC/DC is suddenly the football stadium band of choice -- what's old is new to the students and the parents and 40-ish ticket buyers can secretly bob their heads back and forth and remember when they heard it as a first edition back in the day.

Other quick cuts:

I'd have a rally video based on Four Minutes, and hammer it at the four-minute timeouts.

Somebody is going to jump on Stop the Rock for a pregame or timeout rally video with lots of slam dunks and drives to the rack ( . . . you can't stop the rock, can't stop the rock).

Now I'll bet what you'll hear in a lot of arenas is Boom Boom Pow, but for my money, reaching back for something like Boom Shot Dis (hey, didn't the Razorback band have that last year -- yeah, that's right) shows a little hipper edge. Something a little ragged edged? Reach back for Franz Ferdinand Take Me Out (pick it up at :51 and splash those team mug shots). Radar Love at the 3:42 breakdown -- tell me you couldn't have the pep band rake the crowd with a power horn line to that.

Of course, I always thought we should have been playing the Dudley Do Right theme song. Then again, that peculiar music taste might be why I'm writing the blog instead.

No comments: