Friday, March 13, 2009

Legacy Ignorance

OK, I've been a fan of the local papers, and respect the need to make cuts. The ones done recently by the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette don't make a lot of sense. They've dumped my two favorite Sunday sections -- Books and Travel. Oh yes, Travel is still there -- just two pages sandwiched into the Style section.

Let's parse this decision. The people who are still buying the print edition are older. They're probably bibliophiles. Yeah, that's playing to strength -- cutting the section that the core demo is most interested in to keep sections aimed at 20-somethings that rarely if ever pick up the print edition.

Whacking down Travel -- same story, second verse. Who's going to take time to read the print edition? The older demo.

Instead, we keep plenty of space for the society section, etc. Honestly, I'd never considered dropping the subscription, but this has me thinking seriously about saving that money and going on-line. I already get the majority of my news there, and don't need another reason to jump.

No comments: